Product definition & design
It takes more than a good idea to make a product successful. On the basis of our experience from many projects and the experience of our senior staff, we develop product strategies from various perspectives.
Product definition for an innovative product development - The product definition is at the beginning of the product development process and is therefore elementary for a target-oriented development of a new product and its market success. The process of product definition includes the determination of the market-side customer requirements, the formulation of product ideas, their pre-selection, storage, filtering and transfer into product proposals and finally the specification sheet, which describes the entirety of the customer's requirements.
Services in the area of product definition at a glance:
- Market and competition analysis
- Trend analysis: market development, costs, product features
- Analysis of the product portfolio
- Identification of improvement potentials
- Creation of user/usage scenarios
- Technology screening: availability of technologies, transferability
- Product and project planning
- Target cost analysis, cost reduction potentials
- Functional analysis
- Analysis of the product requirements
- Design studies: design language, product design
- Ergonomics studies
- Generation of ideas: new functions, new technologies
- Development of functional concepts: hand samples, installation space representations, principle models
- Risk analysis
User Scenarios & Product mapping
We put ourselves in the role of the end customer and develop user scenarios that reflect their customers' view of the new product.
- How is the handling of the new product?
- What user experience does the customer expect?
- How is the transport in distribution planned?
Yet, we are also attentive of the product’s environment.
- What is the competitive situation like?
- How should the product be positioned in terms of value, price, degree of innovation in comparison to the competitive products?
For example, M.TEC uses product mapping to work out the competitive situation and make the environment transparent for you.
In development, M.TEC pays attention to making quality a tangible experience: the keyword is "perceived quality". If we use expensive materials in products, for example, we pay attention to the value of the entire product. We make sure that weight, materials, fit, surfaces, gap dimensions and part quality are in the right proportion to each other. Product characteristics or parts of products that the customer cannot see, on the other hand, are designed with maximum cost awareness. By means of function integration, we take the technically feasible to its limits.
Design of the product
Product design and product creation
Product design and product creation - The focus on purely technical performance features cannot guarantee the success of a product. In addition to functionality, quality and cost, design often plays a decisive role. Design responds to the aesthetic ideas and expectations of the target group, thereby increasing the product's chances of selling in the targeted market segment.
Good design improves the usability of the product, optimises ergonomics and clarifies the internal relationships between construction and use. Thus, the design of technical products contributes significantly to market success.
Integrated product development: design and engineering
The basic requirement for product design is the feasibility of converting a design into an industrial manufacturing process. To avoid iterations in the development process and to reduce development costs we follow the process of "Integrated Product Development". In this approach, design and engineering work closely together from the beginning of the product development process. In this way, the creative work of designers is checked for its technical feasibility and design aspects are compared with the requirements of mechanical development.
Our range of services in the field of product design at a glance:
- Industrial Design (Concept Development, Refinement and Implementation, Strategy)
- Graphic Design (Product Branding, Brand and Identity Communications)
- Color, Material Design (Trend Forecasting, Color Material & Finish Design, Specification)
- User Interface Design (Usability Analysis and Specification, Concept Development, Prototyping and Implementation)